Search Postgresql Archives

Re: lifetime of the old CTID

> On Jul 6, 2022, at 12:51, Matthias Apitz <guru@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> it is uniqu to identify a row in a table once
> known.

I think the point that we are trying to make here is that a ctid *isn't* that.  There is no guarantee, at all, at any level, that the ctid of a row will remain stable, not even between two SELECT statements.  (Although it doesn't right now, I could easily image some kind of repack logic in PostgreSQL that runs on read operations, not just write.)  It shouldn't be considered an API.  I understand that it might be painful to change to a generated primary key, but I think that will be less painful in the long run than having to stay ahead of PostgreSQL's internals.