Search Postgresql Archives

Re: lifetime of the old CTID

Am 06.07.22 um 07:54 schrieb Andreas Kretschmer:

Am 06.07.22 um 07:44 schrieb Christophe Pettus:

On Jul 5, 2022, at 22:35, Matthias Apitz <guru@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Internally, in the DB layer, the read_where() builds the row list matching
the WHERE clause as a SCROLLED CURSOR of

    SELECT ctid, * FROM d01buch WHERE ...

and each fetch() delivers the next row from this cursor. The functions
start_transaction() and end_transaction() do what their names suggest and rewrite_actual_row() does a new SELECT based on the ctid of the actual row

    SELECT * FROM d01buch WHERE ctid = ... FOR UPDATE
    UPDATE ...
On first glance, it appears that you are using the ctid as a primary key for a row, and that's highly not-recommended.  The ctid is never intended to be stable in the database, as you have discovered.  There are really no particular guarantees about ctid values being retained.

I'd suggest having a proper primary key column on the table, and using that instead.

100% ACK.

Andreas

it reminds me somehow on how people used he OID in old times - and now we removed the OID completely.

Andreas

--
Andreas Kretschmer
Technical Account Manager (TAM)