Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Automatic PK values not added to new rows

On 5/25/22 20:10, Ron wrote:
On 5/25/22 13:17, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2022, David G. Johnston wrote:

The value the sequence provides next is wholly independent of everything
except the state of the sequence. It doesn’t care how many rows any table, even its owner, has. The very existence of the delete command should make
this self-evident.

David J.,

I didn't know that.

people_person_nbr_seq would have to somehow peek into public.people and automatically update itself.  I'd be hopping mad if Postgresql did that after I explicitly set the value of people_person_nbr_seq to the value of my choosing, as if Postgresql knows better than I do what I want the next value of people_person_nbr_seq to be.

Though to be honest if you are setting up an automatic id system, be it serial or identity, and then overriding it with your own values you are looking for issues. Either let the system do it's thing and be an out of site out of mind number generator or take full control of the id generation yourself.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx