Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Can I start Update row in After Insert trigger function?

On 5/23/22 23:17, Durumdara wrote:
Dear Adrian!

Thank you for the information. For me the main question is that:
Can I execute an UPDATE in the  AFTER INSERT trigger procedure?
Or is this confuses PGSQL, because prior operation (INSERT) isn't fully finished?

It is spelled out here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createtrigger.html

"The trigger can be specified to fire before the operation is attempted on a row (before constraints are checked and the INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE is attempted); or after the operation has completed (after constraints are checked and the INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE has completed); or instead of the operation (in the case of inserts, updates or deletes on a view)."

So the INSERT has completed in an AFTER trigger.

Thank you!

BR,
dd

--