Search Postgresql Archives

Re: autovacuum_freeze_max_age on append-only tables

Thank you both Laurenz and Peter.

Laurenz - It was an article you posted a couple years ago introducing the V13 feature that got me thinking about the insert-only situation I had.

Peter - I had been improperly holding anti-wraparound and aggressive in my mind as related in a way they are not. You cleared that up.

2 last questions (maybe):

Are the autovacuum_vacuum_cost_* settings handled any differently for 'to avoid wraparound' vacuums? I understand that it won't give up a lock but I was expecting it to still back off due to cost and allow the query with conflicting lock to proceed.

Is there any benefit to manually running a vacuum every so many inserts as opposed to using autovacuum_freeze_max_age. And in this case should it be a vacuum freeze. Rows are never updated or deleted except for the occasional roll back due to dropped network connections.

Thanks again

-Senor