Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Facing issues with pgsql upgrade.

On 4/17/22 22:54, Ajay Kajla wrote:
Hi Adrian,

Command \l gives the list of db available DBs in the cluster including template0 and template1, I can connect to other DBs and run queries as well.

My motive is just to upgrade pgsql from 9.6 to 13 using the pg_upgrade command.

Do you have file level backup of the Postgres data directory from before the deletion of template0 and template1 directories?

Why is important that you use pg_upgrade instead of using pg_dumpall as David Johnston suggested?

In any case I would suggest doing a pg_dumpall against the 9.6 instance just to have a backup.

Regards,
Ajay

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 9:48 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 4/17/22 19:11, Ajay Kajla wrote:
     > Thanks Adrian,
     >
     > 1. What if we re-create template0 and template1?

    First I would determine what else might be missing?

    In psql what happens if you do:

    \l

    to get a list of databases?

    And can you connect to the databases other then postgres?

     > 2. how to restore them if we have a folder backup of the data
    directory?

    When was the backup done and how?

    Are you sure it is a complete backup?

    Do you have tablespaces,other then the default, in use?

     > Regards,
     > Ajay

-- Adrian Klaver
    adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>