Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Index optimization ?

Greg Stark wrote:

I understand that, I just can't see why an index lookup can't be used on "per
row" basis.

Well, how would that work?

Well, good point, the "per row" is a set of data selected as a product of the "static" part os the query (non volatile parts), the only thing you can do with this dataset is seq scan this, and use the volatile functions on each row. I just could not see this ... until now :-)

If your query is only volatile (like a currval) then PG will select all the table as a dataset and use the volatile expression on each, and that I did not understand, as it semmed more logical to use the index, but I learned :-)

/BL

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster