Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_basebackup with hostssl ?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Wednesday, February 2nd, 2022 at 16:30, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am not following. pg_basebackup is a stand alone client that is not
>
> involved in replication other then establishing a starting point from
>
> which to later establish a replication relationship.

Indeed. And that is exactly that I am trying to do (i.e. have master, want new slave).

> The error is saying that whatever instance you are pointing
>
> pg_basebackup at does not have entry in pg_hba.conf for the
>
> host/user/encryption combination pg_basebackup is trying to connect as.

But it *DOES* have an entry, per my original message:
"hostssl    replication    all    10.0.0.0/8    md5"

And yes, that hba is loaded and live because other remote clients are happily connected to that server and thus reliant on a valid hba.conf.

The host is correct. The user is correct.

The point I am making is that pg_basebackup is connecting without encryption and I want to know how to tell it to use encryption. The docs are silent on the subject.