Search Postgresql Archives

Users and unique identifyers

I need a way to link every user name to a unique ID held in a table in the
database.  I've tried several ways of doing this but all of which are not secure
enough.  It's essential that no one be able to view the user names, though the
unique identifyers will be viewable to all users on the public schema.  My best
bet right now is to store the user names in an encrypted table with a column for
the user name and a column for the id.  This method seems to be the most secure.
 Am i on the right track here?

many thanks,

matt

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster