Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Working with fixed-point calculations in C

Oskar Stenberg <oskar_stenberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I need to make some fixed-point calculations inside the C code that I'm
> developing as an extension to PostgreSQL. I was reading a bit, and if I
> understood the datatype NUMBER correctly, it seems to be just what I'm
> looking for, a fixed-point datatype. (I couldn't actually find any
> thing in the documentation that specifically mentions that it is a
> fixed point datatype. But it seems to work the same. So I might be
> wrong here and if so please tell me)

I think what you are looking for is NUMERIC.  (The type name NUMBER
is an Oracle-ism, I believe.  I'm not sure how closely that corresponds
to our NUMERIC.)

> Link to the documentation:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/xfunc-c.html#XFUNC-C-TYPE-TABLE

Hmm, that table seems a bit incomplete/out of date.  While it's
not really meant to cover every type, surely it should mention
bigint, numeric, and timestamptz ...

			regards, tom lane