Search Postgresql Archives

Re: libpq: Which functions may hang due to network issues?

> On 5. Dec 2021, at 17:01, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Daniel Frey <d.frey@xxxxxx> writes:
>> With all that said, I think that PostgreSQL/libpq should have a clear, documented way to get rid of a connection that is guaranteed to not hang. It has something similar for almost all other methods like opening connections, sending request, retrieving results. Why stop there?
>
> AFAICS, PQfinish() already acts that way, at least up to the same level of
> guarantee as you have for "all other methods".  That is, if you previously
> set the connection into nonblock mode, it won't block.

OK, thanks Tom, that is at least something. I would still like this to be kinda documented/guaranteed, especially if nonblocking mode is required for this behavior (which is given in my case). But I guess that's not up to me, so I'll drop the topic and I'll just have to accept the status quo.

Thanks, Daniel