Search Postgresql Archives

Re: case insensitive collation of Greek's sigma

On 26/11/21 9:37 π.μ., Jakub Jedelsky wrote:
Hello,
Thank you for dealing with Greek!

during our tests of Postgres with ICU we found an issue with ILIKE of upper and lowercase sigma (Σ). The letter has two lowercase variants σ and ς (at the end of a word). I'm working with en_US and en-US-x-icu collations and results are a bit unexpected - they are inverted:

postgres=# SELECT
postgres-# 'ΣΣ' ILIKE 'σσ' COLLATE "en_US",
postgres-# 'ΣΣ' ILIKE 'σς' COLLATE "en_US"
postgres-# ;
 ?column? | ?column?
----------+----------
 t        | f
(1 row)

postgres=# SELECT
postgres-# 'ΣΣ' ILIKE 'σσ' COLLATE "en-US-x-icu",
postgres-# 'ΣΣ' ILIKE 'σς' COLLATE "en-US-x-icu";
 ?column? | ?column?
----------+----------
 f        | t
(1 row)

I run those commands on the latest (14.1) official docker image.

Is it possible to unify the behaviour?And which one is correct from the community point of view?
IMHO all those letters are wrong, the correct S used to be the letter C (equal to the Cyrillic S).
Σ is a new invention, same like σ, the final ς looks a lot like the calligraphic version of c .

If I could start, I think both results are wrong as both should return True. If I got it right, in the background there is a lower() function running to compare strings, which is not enough for such cases (until the left side isn't taken as a standalone word).
I agree with you all of them should be deducted to a single letter s. Firefox's find recognizes all three (Σ,σ,ς) as the same letter.

Thanks,

- jj

--
Achilleas Mantzios