Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Design database schemas around a common subset of objects

On 11/7/21 16:14, Erik Wienhold wrote:
Hi Adrian,

On 07/11/2021 18:38 Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My questions for this are:

I'm thinking about something like merges in Git.  Database schemas for
project-a and project-b are like separate repositories and changes in core
are merged as necessary.  This along with project-specific changes ("o" in
the diagram below) should result in a sequence of migrations applied to the
respective databases.

project-a       oo--o--ooo-o---o--oo---->
             ___/  _/ _________/
            /     /  /
core      o--oo-o---o-o--o-->
project-b    o--ooo--o-o-o--ooo----->

These merges (always from core to the projects) form a directed acyclic
graph from which the migration sequence can be generated using a topological
ordering.

4) Are you using or have you looked at Sqitch(https://sqitch.org/)?

Already looking into it after stumbling across it during research on the
mailing lists ;)