Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ZFS filesystem - supported ?

On 11/1/21 17:58, Stephen Frost wrote:
Well, at least one alternative to performing these snapshots would be to
use a tool like pg_basebackup or pgbackrest to perform the backups
instead.

File system based backups are much slower than snapshots. The feasibility of file based utility like pg_basebackup depends on the size of the database and the quality of the infrastructure. However, if opting for snapshot based solutions, I would advise something like Pure or NetApp which use special hardware to accelerate the process and have tools to backup snapshots, like SnapVault (NetApp).

Also, when using file level utilities, I would go full commercial. Commercial backup utilities are usually optimized for speed, support deduplication and maintain backup catalog, which can come handy if there are regulatory requirements about preserving your backups (HIPPA, SOX)

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant