Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to copy rows into same table efficiently

On 10/26/21 1:04 AM, Arun Suresh wrote:

Dear PG experts,

We have a tenant discriminator column in our tables to enable storage of data from multiple
tenants. This column is also part of the composite primary key.
The customers may request creation of a tenant copy, which means if they currently have a tenant id "ABCD", they would like to copy all data "where tenant_id = 'ABCD'" to a new copy tenant "XYZ".
The copy must also be done on the same table.

Current approach taken is to build a query like below:
INSERT INTO mytable (col1, col2, col3, col4) SELECT col1, 'XYZ', col3, col4 FROM mytable WHERE col2 = 'ABCD'

Is there a better way to do this?
There could be other tables with foreign key reference, would a simple ordering of the copy based on table relationship suffice?

That would be my first thought.  Of course, FK dependencies quickly become a rat's nest, so beware.

Also if the table has millions of records, what are the things to take care of?

Take care of?

Anyway, for millions of rows, I might use COPY instead of INSERT (depending on how many millions, how many indices, how large the rows, how fast the machine, etc.