Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Can db user change own password?

On 10/21/21 09:53, Tom Lane wrote:
Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

It's fairly obvious what's happening here: psql sends ALTER USER xxx
PASSWORD ..., where it gets xxx from PQuser(), so that is the role name
that was logged in with.  There are any number of reasons why that might
not be the currently active role.

The psql man page says

     \password [ username ]
         Changes the password of the specified user (by default, the
         current user).

So I'd say this is not doing what the documentation says.

Oops. That is where I got hung up.

With server versions >= 9.5 we could dodge the issue by sending
ALTER USER CURRENT_USER PASSWORD ....  For older servers,
I suppose we could do "SELECT CURRENT_USER" first.

I'm not sure if we want to change a security-relevant behavior
in released branches.  But if we don't, we probably need to
change the docs to something like "(by default, the logged-in
user)".

I would suggest session(_)user to make it match with the rest of documentation.

			regards, tom lane

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx