Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Force re-compression with lz4

On 10/18/21 11:01, Adrian Klaver wrote:
ot sure how much this applies to the Postgres usage of lz4. As I understand it, this is only used internally for table compression. When using pg_dump compression gzip is used. Unless you pipe plain text output through some other program.

This applies when using a 3rd party commercial backup tool with deduplication. You'd be surprised how many people do that. One tool to backup them all, one tool to find them and on the LTO cartridge backup them. I apologize for this cheesy paraphrase of Tolkien, but I couldn't resist. Long story short, for the 3rd party backup tools LZO4 compression will yield better deduplication ratios than other forms of compression, thereby saving you space.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant