Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Candidate 4

Tom Lane wrote:
Stuart Bishop <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
| A current list of *known* supported platforms can be found at:
|     http://developer.postgresql.org/supported-platforms.html

I notice that Ubuntu is not yet on this list. I can confirm that
PostgreSQL 7.4.5 is supported under Ubuntu 4.10 (warty) on all platforms
(x86, amd64 and ppc) and that PostgreSQL 7.4.6 is supported under Ubuntu
5.4 (hoary) on all platforms. We are now in version freeze for hoary, so
that version is fixed and the 8 series won't be officially supported
until the following release (October 2005), although installing the
Debian packages should work just fine.

You seem to be under a misconception about the purpose of that list.
It has nothing to do with what Postgres releases are packaged by
various distributions.  Entries on the list mean that someone has
verified that the *source code* distribution builds per instructions
and passes regression tests on that platform.

If you are trying to say that you personally have verified that for
Ubuntu, you didn't phrase it clearly.

My bad.

I can personally confirm that 8.0rc5 builds cleanly and passes the regression tests under Ubuntu i386 (using the current Ubuntu 5.04/hoary development release, now in version freeze). I can't personally confirm the other architectures or the Ubuntu 4.10/warty release (although the results should be identical to Debian).

The install docs require some interpretation, as by default under Ubuntu root's password is disabled and you need to use sudo for various steps. I don't think this is a problem, as naive Ubuntu users will generally be using the click'n'drool pacakge manager.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>   http://www.canonical.com/
Canonical Ltd.                              http://www.ubuntulinux.com/

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster