Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Splitting libpq build

Igor Korot <ikorot01@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I wonder who ade the decision not to provide an independent build
> of the client library of PostgreSQL? And what was the reason behind it?

It wasn't worth the maintenance trouble.  It still isn't.  On any
remotely-modern machine, a build of the whole tree is only going
to take a minute or two.  And libpq doesn't change so fast that
you'd need to do this often.

Having said that, it does work on non-Windows machines to do
	./configure ...
	cd src/interfaces/libpq
	make -s install

The Windows case is exactly what we killed as not being worth
the maintenance effort, so I doubt you'll find much interest
in resurrecting that one.

			regards, tom lane