Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.

On 9/20/21 11:00 PM, Tim Uckun wrote:
I am hoping to get some clarification on timestamp with time zone.

My understanding is that timestamp with time zone stores data in UTC
but displays it in your time zone.  Does this also work on queries? If
I query between noon and 2:00 PM on some date in time zone XYZ does pg
translate the query to UTC before sending it to the server?

So does the database know the timestamp is in auckland time when the
client is connecting from a server on UTC?

My question would be why does it matter? The whole purpose of timestamptz is that you know it is stored as UTC, from there you can transform to whatever time zone you want.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx