Search Postgresql Archives

Possibilities for optimizing inserts across oracle_fdw foreign data wrapper

Hello all

We are often using the oracle_fdw to transfer data between Postgres (version 11+) and Oracle (version 18+). It works great.

However I have a task at hand that requires inserting a few billion rows in an Oracle table from a Postgres query.

insert into t_ora (a,b,c)

select a,b,c from t_pg;

This is driven from a plpgsql stored procedure, if that matters.

I want to optimize the running time of this. But I am unsure of which, if any, possibilities there actually is.

Reducing the number of network roundtrips is usually a good way to increase throughput. But, how do I do that?

If I could make the Oracle insert direct load, that would usually also increase throughput. But, is that possible here. There are no constraints defined on the destinaton tables.

Regards Niels Jespersen