Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SQL queries as sets: was The tragedy of SQL

On Wed, 15 Sep 2021, Steve Litt wrote:

Rich, could you please elaborate on SQL queries being based on sets? I
never thought of it that way, and would like to hear your related
thoughts.

SteveT,

In the 1980s, when there were computer magazines such as Byte and Database
Administrator (among many others), Joe Celko wrote a monthly database column
in one (or more, I forget these details). This lead me to buy and read his
books, including 'SQL for Smarties' and its many editions, 'SQL
Programming', and 'Thinking in Sets: Auxilliary, Temporal, and Virtual
Tables in SQL'.

I reccomend his books to answer your questions and give you a sound
foundation.

Regards,

Rich