Search Postgresql Archives

Re: The tragedy of SQL

On 9/14/21 16:07, Raymond Brinzer wrote:
By analogy:  Arabic and Roman numerals both describe the natural
numbers.  Hence, they have the same mathematical properties.  Spending
a little time doing algebra with Roman numerals should convince
anyone, however, that how you express a concept matters a lot.

Analogy is not an accepted logical method. I do agree that the style of expression matters. That is why we have literature. Saying "hey there" and "friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears" can have the same meaning in the given context but the latter expression is much more poetic. As software engineers, we are very much opposed to poetry, especially those among us using Perl.

However, the stated purpose of the SQL language is to describe sets and subsets. It's supposed to be verbose. Storage extensions are database specific and are here for performance reasons.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant