Search Postgresql Archives

Re: update non-indexed value is slow if some non-related index/fk are enabled

On Friday, September 3, 2021, Philippe Doussot <philippe.doussot@xxxxxxx> wrote:

One UPDATE of one boolean value which is non-indexed take some time ( for many tuples .. 3 Millions ).

But if we disable all indexes/fk the UPDATE is 10x faster and do 10x less shared hit .

I don't understand why disabling all index from the table speed up the update because the boolean column is not indexed

Index entries point to physical records.  You just deleted one physical record and added another.  The indexes need to be updated with that information.

David J.