Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Upgrade 9.5 cluster on Ubuntu 16.04

On 9/2/21 11:55 AM, Vano Beridze wrote:
I just want to upgrade to the OS and Postgres that is supported.
If I just stop the service on both VMs and upgrade Ubuntu, then start Postgres, will it work or I should go with clean install and dump/restore?

Prudent behavior before you do any upgrading would be to:

1) Take pg_dumpall of cluster just before shutting it down.

2) Copy that dump off the VM's for extra safety.

Then you have choice of:

1) On new upgraded OS there will be a new 10 cluster created that has only the template0, template1 and postgres databases. psql -f dump.sql postgres per example here https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/app-pg-dumpall.html

2) Or use the pg_upgrade procedure shown here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1126847/will-a-release-upgrade-take-care-of-postgresql-upgrade-automatically

I would say if the database(s) are not that big I would go with 1).

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 10:41 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 9/2/21 11:34 AM, Vano Beridze wrote:
     >  > What repo are you getting Postgres from, Ubuntu or PGDG?
     > Ubuntu

    So you are going to get version 10.

    Is that what you want?

    If you want to move to something newer then this maybe the time to move
    to the PGDG repos, as they allow you to install any of the current
    supported versions of Postgres.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx