Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Can we get rid of repeated queries from pg_dump?

You guys are brilliant!

Regards,

Gus

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 6:26 PM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Here is a second patch, quite independent of the first one, that
gets rid of some other repetitive queries.  On the regression database,
the number of queries needed to do "pg_dump -s regression" drops from
3260 to 2589, and on my machine it takes 1.8 sec instead of 2.1 sec.

What's attacked here is a fairly silly decision in getPolicies()
to query pg_policy once per table, when we could do so just once.
It might have been okay if we skipped the per-table query for
tables that lack policies, but it's not clear to me that we can
know that without looking into pg_policy.  In any case I doubt
this is ever going to be less efficient than the original coding.

                        regards, tom lane