Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Why can't I drop a tablespace?

On 7/10/21 10:43 AM, Phil Endecott wrote:
Phil Endecott wrote:
Yesterday I had a disk-nearly-full problem, and decided to try to resolve it by moving one large table to a spare disk in a new tablespace:

=# create tablespace tempspace location "/db_temp";
=# alter table requests set tablespace tempspace;
[snip]
- Is my idea that these files should have been deleted but weren't
during the disk-full panic plausible?

- If I do move them away, what will Postgres do if it tries to access
them and finds they are missing? Is it well-behaved in this case?

- If I move them away, I would try to exercise the database (e.g.
do variants of "select sum(column1) from table") in some way to make
sure that it is all functioning. Any suggestions about how best to do
this?

I'd shut down postgres, rename those files, and then analyzing the relevant tables after startup.  Probably also run amcheck against the relevant tables' indices.

https://access.crunchydata.com/documentation/amcheck-next/1.5/#interface