Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [HACKERS] Much Ado About COUNT(*)

On 1/13/05 6:44 PM, "Greg Stark" <gsstark@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's simply false. Oracle does indeed have to count the records one by one.
>
> It doesn't have to read and ignore the dead records since they're in a
> separate place (but on the other hand it sometimes have to go read that
> separate place when it sees records that were committed after your
> transaction).
>
> It can also do index-only scans, which often helps, but it's still not
> instantaneous.

Ok, I stand corrected - I was given some wrong information.  However, my
experience has been that count(*) on Oracle is a whole lot faster than
PostgreSQL - what appeared instantaneous on Oracle took some time on
PostgreSQL.  That was one of the first things I noticed when moving a
database application to PostgreSQL.  I've since disposed of the Oracle
database, so can't go back and retest.

Wes