Search Postgresql Archives

Re: OSX: migrating Postgres db from one Mac to another

On 6/24/21 6:53 AM, Carlo Poso wrote:
Hello,
my Mac unfortunately crashed. I have a Time Machine backup.
Using the Migration Assistant on a new Mac allowed me to get all my
documents back, but unfortunately Postgres is not able to start.

So I was trying to manually set-up my Postgres db.

Here are the steps:

- install a fresh copy of Postgres (v11)
- replace the /Library/PostgreSQL/11/data folder with the one I dig out
from my dead Mac, where I assume my data is stored
- check/fix owner of folders (must be 'postgres', I assume)

You have not started the server.

- start pgAdmin

pgAdmin != Postgres

pgAdmin is just a client, the server needs to be started in order for it to connected.

- enter the PW for postgres user
- click on "PostgreSQL 11" server to show databases

This is where I have problems. I am prompted with the same pop-up asking me
to enter the password for the user 'postgres'. I type it and I get the

The message is telling you what the problem is, the server is not running, or if it where running not listening on port 5432.

message "could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx