Search Postgresql Archives

Re: immutable function querying table for partitioning

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 at 18:21, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You probably avoid the complications by doing the above, but the amount of bloat you are causing seems excessive.
>
> I’d suggest an approach where you use the table data to build DDL in a form that does adhere to the limitations described in the documentation instead of building you system upon a lie that your immutable function is actually a stable one.
>
> David J.

Yes I do understand that. That was just  a simple example.
I am just playing with approaches, this is not a work requirement.
This would be a simulation for sharded setup across servers.
In reality I would be moving only the relevant data and run a truncate to get rid of bloat once data is moved. but that was not the point.

I wanted sharding to be an iterative setup. as I will make bad decisions.
I want to be able to avoid hotspots as well as, too much scatter gather.
I tried the fdw approach, the problem with it is , it opens a cursor, then runs through all the shards sequentially. when we have too many shards, it suffers linear degradation.

I also tried dblink to run an async scatter gather where aggregation/ limit could not be pushed down.

and it has a lot counting on fetch_size across shards. I mean if it too low, it takes forever to get data that does not get reduced at remote server.
it is too high the transfer is fast, but  random query result transferring a lot of data results in oom. I know i have to tune these things, but i cannot anticipate data growth.

I was thinking of a way where I could have all related data in one partition.
i mean if i am having a setup with highly normalized tables, i could use a custom function to ensure all related data remains in one shard.

while studying approaches to how others shard, i saw this in oracle. when all related data is in one shard which uses partition by reference,
since we do not have that in postgres, i thought i could use a custom function.
sharding-schema-design.html
but these are experiments. I am not losing anything if I fail :)
I want to figure out  ways to rebalance without downtime.

--
Thanks,
Vijay