Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Symbolic link breaks for postgresql.auto.conf

On 6/6/21 10:50 AM, Vijaykumar Jain wrote:

Please reply to list also.
Ccing list

Also please use inline or bottom posting, it makes things easier to follow.

Yeah I am aware of that :)

I was referring to if the main config is managed via some config management tool like puppet, ansible or  anything else that would wipe the changes made temporarily.

Which 'includes' could handle depending on what the config management tool is using as the starting main config(postgresql.conf I presume). If that file is seeded with an include, or better yet include_if_exists, that point at files outside PG_DATA then you would have the ability to override settings at will with a reload/restart.

If the above does not cover your use case you will need to provide a more detailed description of how your configuration management is done.

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021, 10:45 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 6/6/21 10:02 AM, Vijaykumar Jain wrote:
     > Yes, I learnt it the hard way as well :) I made changes via the
    alter
     > system, and did a pg_restore, and the changes were lost  :)
     >
     > use the alter system for ad hoc changes, but make sure those
    changes are
     > added back to the postgresql.conf file immediately (or however
    the main
     > conf file is managed).

    I would suggest taking a look at 'includes':

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/config-setting.html#CONFIG-INCLUDES

    <mailto:garajamohan@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:garajamohan@xxxxxxxxx