Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Functions returning RECORD

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 07:58:33PM +0200, Craig Bryden wrote:

> When I run     select * from GetAccountInfo (100)    I get the following
> error message:
> ERROR:  a column definition list is required for functions returning "record"

If the function will always return the same row type then create a
composite type with CREATE TYPE and return that instead of RECORD.

> please can someone explain to me how to create a column definition list.

See the documentation for SELECT in the Reference part of the
PostgreSQL documentation; the Examples section shows a query with
a column definition list.  But you won't need a column definition
list if you return a known type instead of RECORD.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/