Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Access a newer Version of PGDB (v13) with an older libpq (v10 x86)

Am 30.04.2021 um 16:16 schrieb Tom Lane:
=?UTF-8?Q?Wolfgang_Ri=c3=9fler?= <wolfgang.rissler@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
The problem is, that our application (IDE MS-VisualStudio, C++) has to
be 32bit, because of some old 32bit-dll's, which we cant kick out at the
moment.
So I compiled a libpqxx with the last 32bit libpq (which is v10).

Uh ... what's this about "last 32-bit libpq"?

Ok, I meant, the last ready to use packaged 32-bit libpq from EDB (~_0).

I can believe that a particular packager (EDB, say) might not be shipping
prebuilt 32-bit binaries anymore.  But if you are in a position to compile
your own libraries then you can certainly build any release you want as
32-bit.

This is my problem, I completely dont know, how to start compiling my own actual 32bit libpq on windows (and I would like to do it with VS 2019). For libpqxx there have been some hints how to do so in the past, and now there is a complete project, which deals with compiling it on windows with VS and CMake. But I didnt find such hints for libpq or the whole postgresDB. Or is there another provider, who supplys V13 32bit binary installers for Windows?

I would recommend trying to use a reasonably late-vintage libpq; we do
fix bugs in it on a regular basis.

The common stumbling block for cross-version situations is that the
client makes assumptions about system catalog contents that are not
valid in some other server release.  libpq proper doesn't really touch
the catalogs, so it's mostly impervious to that problem; but you'll need
to test your applications.

Of course we'll do. One thing is, that we load and write bytea's. And as I read, there have been some changes. All other Operations are less problematic.

Thank you

--

- may the source be with you -