Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Binary encoding of timetz type

Ruslan <ruslan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I wrote parser for COPY binary encoding. Everything is great but one thing
> worries me. It seems like the time offset field has reversed digit sign.
> I'm referring to this function

> https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/REL_13_STABLE/src/backend/utils/adt/date.c#L2150-L2159

Reversed compared to what?  The code you quote is clearly sending the
internal representation as-is.

There's a lot of confusion in the world about whether positive timezone
offsets correspond to being east or west of Greenwich (not helped any
by the fact that there are relevant standards using both interpretations).
I think that our internal form uses positive-is-west, a/k/a POSIX rules,
but I'm too lazy to go check right now.

			regards, tom lane