Search Postgresql Archives

Re: hstore each() function - returned order??

Hi

On 2021-03-12 04:46, Brent Wood wrote:
Hi,

 I'm using the following in an SQL :

 select (EACH(value)).key as measurement_key,
       (EACH(value)).value as value from t_reading_hstore;

I'm assuming this will give two columns containing the key/value pairs
in the hstore record.

The docs suggest the order of the keys/values returned is
undetermined. That is a bit ambiguous to me.

The order is not a problem in this case: as long as the keys and
values are returned in the SAME order, what that order is I don't
care.

Just that the key is always returned in the same row as its value.

It does seem to work, at least in my test cases, but I need to know if
that is just luck, or if it is a safe assumption to make.

Can anyone confirm this is a robust assumption for me?

You can order the result by key to have a specific order that remains between calls.

select (EACH(value)).key as measurement_key,
       (EACH(value)).value as value from t_reading_hstore
order by (EACH(value)).key;

Bye
Charles

Thanks

Brent Wood

Principal Technician, Fisheries
NIWA
DDI:  +64 (4) 3860529

 		 [1]

 Brent Wood
Principal Technician - GIS and Spatial Data Management
Programme Leader - Environmental Information Delivery
+64-4-386-0529
National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd (NIWA)
301 Evans Bay Parade Hataitai Wellington New Zealand
Connect with NIWA: niwa.co.nz [1] Facebook [2] LinkedIn [3] Twitter
[4] Instagram [5]

 To ensure compliance with legal requirements and to maintain cyber
security standards, NIWA's IT systems are subject to ongoing
monitoring, activity logging and auditing. This monitoring and
auditing service may be provided by third parties. Such third parties
can access information transmitted to, processed by and stored on
NIWA's IT systems

Links:
------
[1] https://www.niwa.co.nz