Search Postgresql Archives

how to limit statement memory allocation

Hi all,

Occasionally  we get bad queries on our db that consume a lot of memory.
These typically are full joins by mistake or just too large result sets.
My understanding is these should go to a temp file but apparently memory allocation is preferred.
Last time a statement hit 150GB RAM and did not get a cancel or terminate signal, so we had to
restart the db after a few hours, after another one popped up.

The only relevant , i guess,  settings on the server are:
huge_pages = 'on'
shared_buffers = 196GB
work_mem = 1GB
maintenance_work_mem = 4GB