Search Postgresql Archives

Re: permission denied for pg_temp_XX when vacuuming

okay, thank you Tom.

There were no crashes of the instance, but some issues with the connected application, resulting in 'could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer' and 'unexpected EOF on client connection with an open transaction'.
So if this might have left behind temp tables causing the errors, should I try to delete these pg_temp tables?

Regards,
Tobias

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 17:10, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tobias Lott <tobias.lott@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Yes that's strange. A lot of pg_XX tables are skipped, but some of these
> pg_temp schemas cause errors.
> Could it be connected to a migration of the database (from an instance
> running PostgreSQL 9.6 to an instance running PostgreSQL 12) done a few
> weeks ago?

I wouldn't have expected a migration to bring any temp tables forward.

Have you had any crashes on this instance (post-migration)?  A possible
theory is that crashed backend(s) left behind some temp tables, and then
if vacuumdb's backend process re-uses the backend ID (which determines
the NN in pg_temp_NN) of one of those sessions, it would think those
temp tables are its own and try to vacuum them.  Or at least I think
it might.  That still fails to explain the permissions errors in any
detail, but at least it offers a reason why vacuumdb would even be
going anywhere near a temp table.

                        regards, tom lane

--
Tobias Lott