Search Postgresql Archives

Re: checkpointer and other server processes crashing

On 2/15/21 1:50 PM, Joe Abbate wrote:
On 15/2/21 16:29, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 2/15/21 1:15 PM, Joe Abbate wrote:
We've been experiencing PG server process crashes about every other week on a mostly read only website (except for a single insert/update on page access).  Typical log entries look like

LOG:  checkpointer process (PID 11200) was terminated by signal 9: Killed
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes

Have you looked at the system logs to see if the OOM killer is involved?

No, I hadn't, but now I see that of the past three crashes, four postgres processes were OOM victims.  I guess I have to read the OOM articles I've been skipping (read one a long time ago).  If you have any specific suggestions, let me know.

There are suggestions here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/kernel-resources.html#LINUX-MEMORY-OVERCOMMIT

It probably would not hurt to figure why this seemed to happen with the Python -> Go switch. Even if you can get the OOM not to kick in, the fact that it was kicking in would indicate you now have memory hungry processes that did not exist before. The questions being is this strictly due to the language/framework change, natural growth of data set being worked with, or something else?

Thanks Adrian,

Joe

--
Adrian Klaver