Search Postgresql Archives

Re: time-based range partitioning and truncate/delete different timezones

Fra: Michael Lewis <mlewis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Dato: 15. januar 2021 kl. 19.49.32 CET
Til: Niels Jespersen <NJN@xxxxxx>
Cc: pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Emne: Re: time-based range partitioning and truncate/delete different timezones

What version are you using? How long are you keeping data for? It is possible to partition by hour or would that exceed the number of recommended partitions too quickly for your retention time period? Else, I would partition on date according to the timezone of your data. Selecting from multiple partitions for the aggregate should be performant enough in most cases. The truncate / detach type commands may need to be the priority.

Version 12.1.

6. months retention, which would give about 4.400 partitions using hourly partitioning. Maybe partitioning on the same timezone as input data and in something like 6 hour intervals is the way to go. I will think about it, based on your input.

Thank you for your ideas

Regards Niels