From: Christophe Pettus <xof@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 5:02 PM
To: Thomas Flatley <FLATLEYT@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Andreas Kretschmer <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Max# of tablespaces

> On Jan 5, 2021, at 13:55, Thomas Flatley <FLATLEYT@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> As far as I can tell, each tablespace is a partition, and I assume they felt this was the best way to perform partition maintenance - again, I don’t know ,

It's a very common Oracle-ism to have a lot of tablespaces, in part because (IIRC) Oracle makes it an incredible pain in the neck to add tablespaces once the DB is in use.  For sharding purposes, you probably want schemas in PostgreSQL instead of tablespaces, although having that many schemas is going to not be optimal, either.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   xof@xxxxxxxxxxxx