Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_restore fails when psql succeeds

On 12/12/20 12:10 PM, Cherio wrote:
I am facing a consistent issue with pg_restore when moving databases with large tables from PostgreSQL 10 to 13. pg_restore fails to restore indexes on some large tables (anything over 20 million records).

pg_restore: error: could not execute query: ERROR:  out of memory
DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 214728704 in memory context "TupleSort sort".
CONTEXT:  parallel worker
Command was: CREATE INDEX some_index_idx ON schema1.table1 USING btree (some_field);

This happens when a database is exported with formats "custom" or "directory". No errors occur when the same databases are exported as plain text and imported with psql.

Initially I was importing with --jobs in several threads, but reducing threads to 1 made no difference. I tried exporting with pg_dump versions 13 and 10. It made no difference either - restore succeeds with plain text + psql and fails with the other formats + pg_restore.

The same doesn't happen when I import from 10 into 12. I am a bit lost and concerned at this point about moving on with conversion to version 13.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Exact Postgres 13 version?

Hardware specifications for machine?

Changes in this section(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/runtime-config-resource.html) of postgresql.conf?

Relevant information from system logs?