Search Postgresql Archives

Re: New "function tables" in V13 documentation

On 11/13/20 11:30 AM, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 12:20 PM Kevin Brannen <KBrannen@xxxxxxxx <mailto:KBrannen@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Go to the string funcs/ops page in v13, and try to quickly find the
    ones that return an "int" (because your goal is to find the position
    of something in a string so you know the return value will have to
    be an "int").

That is not something I considered...I figured people would look for a name that seems to reflect "position" or "in_string".  I've never felt the need to search based upon return type.

Which is an indication that for changes of this scope it would be prudent to create a mock up and have end users see and comment on before rolling them out.

    Designing pages to the smallest media just frustrates those users on
    larger media (cue the many examples on the web where the left/right
    margins are so wide half of your screen is wasted instead of letting
    the text flow and resize).]

It is just as bad it is so wide that one has to move their head instead of just moving their eyes.  If anything our tables could probably be improved by enforcing a maximum width to the content area.

David J.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx