Search Postgresql Archives

CentOS 7 yum package systemd bug?

Hi folks.

Unclear to me if this is a systemd bug or a Postgresql 12 bug, so I figured I would get some thoughts here before reporting in detail.

It is pretty simple to reproduce. If you start your standby server with incorrect username or password using ’systemctl start postgresql-12’ then systemctl just “hangs”. The replication issues get logged, and it isn’t hard to fix, but it doesn’t seem like the appropriate outcome. If you make a syntax error, the systemctl knows that you failed. Of course, this is better than having a normal exit status and moving on with life only to find out your replication isn’t working, but it doesn’t seem right.

This is my repo listing:
[pgdg12]
name=PostgreSQL 12 for RHEL/CentOS $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/12/redhat/rhel-$releasever-$basearch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-PGDG

To be clear, I already fixed the issue. I am just wondering if people think this is a systemd bug or a PostgresQL bug or it is just a garbage in, garbage out sort of situation not worth filing anywhere.

Best Regards,
Doug