Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to migrate column type from uuid to serial

On 10/7/20 6:58 AM, Hemil Ruparel wrote:

Please reply to list also.
Ccing list

Yes. The id is stored as uuid. Thanks for the suggestion. Should work

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 7:27 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 10/7/20 5:48 AM, Hemil Ruparel wrote:
     > I was integrating a payment gateway for my app when I noticed its
     > maximum length of customer id string is 32. SIze of UUID is 36 (32
     > characters and 4 dashes). So I want to change the type of
    customer id to
     > serial. The problem is by now, the column is being used at many
    places.
     > How to migrate the column to serial without dropping the data?

    Changing the size of the column is not an option?

    Your description of the customer id column above is somewhat confusing
    to me. Is the id actually stored as a UUID?

    Why is the max length an issue?

    If you where to migrate I would say create an independent
    serial/identity column. Then point the dependent objects at that. After
    all have been converted drop the old column.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx