Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?

On 9/24/20 6:20 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 12:28:14AM +0200, tutiluren@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Sep 21, 2020, 7:53 PM by jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
     See my comment about Google. The information is out there and easy to find.

I guess I'm the worst idiot in the world, then, who can't DuckDuckGo (Google is
evil) it even after 15 years.

Seriously, I didn't type my feedback "for fun". It may be difficult for very
intelligent people to understand (as often is the case, because you operate on
a whole different level), but the performance-related PostgreSQL configuration
options are a *nightmare* to me and many others. I spent *forever* reading
about them and couldn't make any sense of it all. Each time I tried, I would
give up, frustrated and angry, with no real clue what "magic numbers" it
wanted.

It's quite baffling to me how this can be so difficult for you all to
understand. Even if we disregard the sheer intelligence factor, it's clear that
users of PG don't have the same intimate knowledge of PG's internals as the PG
developers, nor could possibly be expected to.

As mentioned, I kept going back to the default configuration over and over
again. Anyone who doesn't is either a genius or pretends/thinks that they
understand it. (Or I'm extremely dumb.)
I think there is a clear dependency that people reading the docs,
particularly for performance purposes, must have an existing knowledge
of a lot of low-level things --- this could be the cause of your
frustration.

And that's a serious problem with the documentation. (Not that I know how to fix it in an OSS project.)