Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Feature Request pgadmin4 support more storage backends for servers/user data

On 9/11/20 7:25 AM, Anthony Somerset wrote:
Good Day

Firstly I apologise if this has been formally requested before or if there is a better place for this to go..

https://www.pgadmin.org/support/issues/

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/create-ticket/

While trying to debug why the docker image would not deploy and run on Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) I finally got to the bottom of it in that AzureFile and possible also AzureDisk storage backends have issues with SQLITE and locking (https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/59755) – while I was able to workaround the issue with the nobrl mount option mentioned on the linked issue it does raise concerns about potential data corruption of the SQLite DB in event of any issues. At least as it concerns to AKS there isn’t any real immediate improvement to be had.

It got me thinking, it would be really great if pgadmin could support alternative storage backends for this data, my first prize would obviously be towards supporting postgres as a backend.

While I appreciate there aren’t particularly any performance concerns with sqlite as its used in pgadmin4 it but it does potentially cause challenges when/if you need to scale the deployment and how you manage things at that point. It really would make life easier from a management perspective once you need to start scaling to multiple instances of pgadmin or want to create DR scenarios and replicatio of the data if other backends were available.

Anthony Somerset

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx