Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Database logins taking longer and longer, showing up as "authentication" in ps(1)

On Tue, 2020-08-18 at 14:53 +0200, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> We have a PostgreSQL 11.3¹ running on an Ubuntu 16.04 server, which
> sometimes exhibits a behaviour I can't quite understand: simply logging
> into the database starts to take minutes to complete.
>
> We have 60 processes (workers) running on different machines accessing
> the database, that all grab jobs from a queue and update rows in a table
> after doing some calculations (which vary in time from <1s to perhaps a
> minute, many of them fast).
>
> Sometimes new database logins slow down, from usually taking <0.05s to
> taking minutes. This is for psql as a normal user using Kerberos, for
> psql as the postgres superuser, for the web-application logging into the
> database, for everything.

I would suspect that the problem is with the authentication method.

How is authenticatoin configured?

I'd "strace" a connection that is hanging in "authenticating" and
see what the process does.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe