Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PGBench on Windows - connections are subprocesses?

Durumdara <durumdara@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> But the number of threads option (j I think) confused me. At first I
> thought the total connection number is simply the multiplication of c and j
> (subconnections).
> As I saw this is untrue.

> So I don't know how this utility works really in the background.

There are -j threads in the pgbench process, and -c connections to
the server (hence -c backend processes on the server side).  Each
of the pgbench threads is responsible for sending queries to a subset
of the connections.  Setting -j more than -c is useless (I forget
if it's actually an error).  If you set -j to, say, half of -c then
each thread has exactly two connections to manage.  If -j is too
small compared to -c then pgbench itself tends to become the bottleneck.

			regards, tom lane