Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_basebackup + incremental base backups

On 21-May-20 08:43, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Christopher Pereira (kripper@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

[...]
Is there some way to rebuild the standby cluster by doing a differential
backup of the primary cluster directly?
We've contemplated adding support for something like this to pgbackrest,
since all the pieces are there, but there hasn't been a lot of demand
for it and it kind of goes against the idea of having a proper backup
solution, really..  It'd also create quite a bit of load on the primary
to checksum all the files to do the comparison against what's on the
replica that you're trying to update, so not something you'd probably
want to do a lot more than necessary.

We have backups of the whole server and only need a efficient way to rebuild the hot-standby cluster when pg_rewind is not able to do so.

I agree with your concerns about the increased load on the primary server, but this rebuilding process would only be done in case of emergency or during low load hours.

pg_basebackup works fine but does not support differential/incremental backups which is a blocker.

Do you know any alternative software that is able to rebuild the standby PG data dir using rsync or similar while the primary is still online?

It seems a simple pg_start_backup + rsync + pg_stop_backup (maybe combined with a LVM snapshot) would do, but we would prefer to use some existing tool.

We just tried barman, but it also seems to require a restore from the backup before being able to start the standby server (?), and we are afraid this would require double storage, IO and time for rebuilding the standby cluster.

Thanks.