Search Postgresql Archives

Re: surprisingly slow creation of gist index used in exclude constraint

Quoting Chris Withers <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

I'm upgrading a database from 9.4 to 11.5 by dumping from the old
cluster and loading into the new cluster.

The database is tiny: around 2.3G, but importing this table is
proving problematic:
Column          |       Type        |                        Modifiers
I feel like asking what I'm doing wrong here? The new server is
pretty decent hardware...

Concrete questions:

- what, if anything, am I getting badly wrong here?

- what can I do to speed up creation of this index?

- failing that, what can I do to import and then create the index       in
the background?

As you can imagine, a 15hr outage for an upgrade has not met with
large amounts of happiness from the people whose application it is
;-)

Chris
Hi Chris,

This sounds like a candidate for pg_logical replicating from the old to new system.

Regards,
Ken